Monday, June 4, 2012

Edublogging- first steps

I've not been blogging for some time and my home blog is getting a bit rusty and dusty. So instead of doing some serious spring cleaning, I've chosen to start with a fresh page/template/blog....

http://illyasoet.wordpress.com/
 This just so happens to coincide with the beginning of a new blogging course I'll be co-moderating.
It's a chance for me to do all those things we ask our participants to do, beginning with choosing the platform and a name for the blog.

My choice of platform was rather simple. It was in part determined by the platform we are using on the course, but also by the ease of blogging on my iphone with the blogger app (which is also available on android!)

With the general changes Google has been making, the whole structure has changed quite a bit from when I last used it. My first impulse is not to like it. We so willingly avoid change, even if it means for the better. So I will swallow this impulse and take a subjective look at it.

A further task set to the participants is to think about how they want to use the blog. Will it be used within a class collaboratively, or as information? Is it for your own reflective purposes or is it to share with others?
This question I have also asked myself. I will certainly use it during the blogging course for my own reflections and to comment on materials and ideas, which will hopefully be useful to the participants.

After that I see this blog as a supplement to the training I will be giving prospective teachers. maybe it will encourage them to keep a blog for their own puposes.

It's nice to come back to blogging after that long break and find a new purpose for writing.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Illya, this helps figure out possibilities. I find it difficult to decide. On one hand I want to try everything, on the other I get a sense of being lost in the vastness of the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria
    You are right- it is so easy to get lost!
    Sometimes it's also the right decision simply to try out the easiest one to be able to forget the technical side and just see what it feels like.
    You can ultimately open as many blogs as you like. I have quite a few that I've opened for different reasons (one mentioned here!)

    Good luck in finding your way in this fascinating labyrinth. I'm glad I can join you for a short while :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi IllYa!
    I also find it difficult to decide!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marcela
    It's so easy to open blogs, and I have found that once I figured them out I need several ones for different purposes.

    Here are a couple of ideas for you. If you want a really easy one for yourself, then I recommend blogger. If you want to blog with younger kids, then kidsblog is great, but edublog is better for secondary level and older. If you like edublog, then wordpress is also a good one for your own blog.
    Finally, if you really want to blog from your smartphone, then Posterous is pretty good. Barbara wrote a comment about posterous and her experiences. You can ask her for more information or read her comment.

    Maybe this will help you and others in choosing :)

    ReplyDelete